Well Hello!


This is my old blog, which I no longer update. Feel free to browse around old posts and such, but the much more recent version of my ramblings are to be found at MarilynAnneCampbell.com

Friday, June 16, 2006

When The Style Comes Around

Waiting to cross Broadview last night I was surprised by the odd pair I saw waiting on the other corner.

'What's that old-school rocker doing hanging out with a sixteen year old?' I wondered, 'And more importantly, what's a sixteen year old doing hanging out with him?'

The teenager was the one facing me and he had an undefined sort of style about him - just a guy in casual Thursday night clothes who maybe liked his indie rock, maybe his jazz, or maybe he just read a lot to the background music of a gurgling fish tank. It didn't really matter - it was the other guy who caught my eye. With his back to me I had the perfect view of a non-existent ass in too-tight jeans, a small but still loose t-shirt, a pair of genuine cowboy boots and, the clincher, a carefully groomed and luxuriously full mullet.

As the light changed I found myself beginning to imagine how a young lad and a Guardian of Rawk had befriended each other. Maybe at a club, a job, apartments up the hall... Then I stopped wondering. As I passed them, I saw that the man I had I assumed would be in his mid-forties was in fact another sixteen year old decked out as if he'd had a band in the eighties instead of being conceived then.

I know most styles make a comeback, but I wasn't ready to see teenagers reviving a look when I know guys who still look that way from the first time around.

But hey, more power to you, Rawk Kid. Maybe this way nobody will think to card you.

No comments:

Post a Comment